Saturday, June 07, 2008

lagu patriotik

I was in the kitchen helping my sister with dinner when I started singing Hakuna Matata and other Disney Hits.

For some odd reason, not to say Malaysia is associated with any of the big shots of Disney or is a fairy tale land with an enchanted story itself, but Jalur Gemilang found it's way to my head and through my lips.

And I recalled this patritoic song (after checking around on You Tube I now know it's Setia) that I used to like when I was 8,and that triggered my hunt for more lagu patriotik. And believe it or not, I'm actually watching Keranamu on YouTube as I type this blog entry.






Setia


and who could resist Cuti-cuti Malaysia? I know I'm lovin' it.







I'm feeling so patriotic I'm actually watching the patriotic videos and singin' along.And it's kinda touching I actually feel like crying. The love other people display for our country makes me feel inadequate. I won't say I've always been patriotic, and I'll leave it to you to think wheter the songs are painting the truth or wheter it's painting the ideal situation we'd like to have, but you know what? I realised that I actually am glad to be Malaysian.

Despite being unpatriotic most of the time, bad mouthing Malaysia and everything that is associated with it, despite "boycotting"/ not buying Buatan Malaysia just because we think they're tidak berkualiti, I'm actually bangga to be part of Malaysia.

When people ask me where am I from, or wheter I'm chinese, I'm quick to stress that I'm Malaysian-born. It's probably normal if you're American-born and you stress that you're American-born because well, you don't want people to think you're China born. But I find it quite amusing,hearing myself tell people I'm Malaysian, pnly explaining that I'm Chinese,when they look at me with huge eyes, or ask me how come I'm not dark, or how come I speak mandarin.






Jalur Gemilang



When I watch the above video that is actually a slideshow of our 50th anniversary, the thought that crossed my mind actually suprised me. I was thinking, "boy, I missed out!" Something that happens only every 50 years, the golden jubilee, and I treated it as if it was the annual National Day.

Come to think of it, I was pretty patriotic when I was young : waking up early on National Day just to catch the whole thing live on TV, standing up straight when the National anthem was played and keeping my eyes glued on the parade on screen.

Well, I guess my love for Malaysia has been renewed.

*----

ohmygosh. remember for PMR english paper we all ended with the same sentence?Something along the lines of... "After all,we're proud to be Malaysian!"

*----




Sejahtera Malaysia


Satu Suara, Satu Bangsa. Bangga kerana aku warga Malaysia! Malaysia Boleh!

*----

You know how we always complained that we didn't have open book examinations? You know how we always complained that there are not enough experiments? You know how we always complain about our education system?

Well, I'm glad I learnt Maths and Science in English. You should see the trouble the Persians (who already got their diploma back home) have with chemistry or biology grade 11.

And I'm glad we had to memorize everything.And I'm glad for all the subjective papers we had. All the memorizing and explaining with exact key words. We more or less have all the stuff at our finger tips,while others have to refer to charts.

And you know what? Potassium Permanganate Solution is actually poisonous, so they don't get to do any experiments with it. boy oh boy, talk about over protected.

*----

1 comment:

Victor said...

Hey, I was searching for patriotic songs when I was linked to your site. Yea, it's nice to hear such sincere comments on our country.