Saturday, September 05, 2009

look left, right, left, cross.

I was walking on the side walk a few days ago when this thought struck me:

Canada is a place where I can really day dream and walk from one place to another without getting myself honked at, cursed at, get the middle finger, knocked at, run over...etc.

I cross the road looking without looking to the left and then right. I don't have to judge if the cars are far from where I am, whether I can make it to the other side of the road before it reaches me and honks at me. I don't think nor do I make judgements, I just listen to my Shuff and mind my own business, with the help of the traffic lights.

Reading the newspaper today (yes, no.1 on the "new resolutions list"), I came across an article that was suggesting these traffic signs (that make my life easier -- less brain, less thinking and less judging involved) as the cause for accidents.

"We look to signs to give us instruction – tell us our rights – rather than making decisions based on the actions of other drivers, pedestrians and cyclists."

I can say that this quote is so true, since I do it all the time -- just look at the lights to know if I should stop or cross.

While in Malaysia we complain that accidents occur because there are no pedestrian walks, no street lights for pedestrians (that actually work and not stay red / green) all the time, people in other countries say otherwise -- that these signs are the cause of accidents (since people don't think before they cross etc.).

The grass is always greener or the other side, isn't it?

No comments: