Friday, November 09, 2007

Wuthering Heights

It's probably less than 100 hours to SPM.

And what have I been doing?

Listening to Lee Hom interview the whole of yesterday, it was a real marathon.
Reading, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

And I'm starting to understand why my mother loves this book so much. The book, is slowly taking A Tale of Two Cities' place as my favourite classic literature.

Ah,read these captions,so very wonderful. But it just may bore you and waste your precious time for relaxing..... so hop on to someone else's blog if you can't spare a few minutes. =)

[it would be good to know that Catherine and Heathcliff are lovers that cannot be. And Catherine is married to Linton. Catherine and Heathcliff aren't very nice people too, but they're the main people in the story. :D ]

Catherine speaks of Heathcliff.

...my great thought in living is himself.If all else perished,and he remained, I should still continue to be ; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated,the Universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it.

Also in poetry (not in this book,but in relation to the above caption) :


Though Earth and moon were gone
And suns and universes ceased to be
And thou were left alone
Every Existence would exist in thee


and spoken by Heathcliff regarding Catherine(his only love)'s husband :

... Had he been in my place, and I in his, though I hated him with hatred that turned my life to gall, I never would have raised a hand againts him. You may look incredulous, if you please! I never would have banished him from her society,as long as she desired his. The moment her regard ceased,I would have torn his heart out and drank his blood! But till then - if you don't believe me, you don't know me -till then,I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!

and of Heatcliff's love for Catherine and his assumption of the love Catherine has for Linton :

...if he loved for all the powers of his puny being,he couldn't love as much in eighty years,as I could in a day....................He is scarcely a degree dearer to her than her dog,or her horse - It is not in him to be loved like me ,how can she love in him what he has not?

It's peculiar how two people who seem to love each other so much may scream and curse at each other too, though the author pened it so very very beautifuly.

From Catherine to Heathcliff :

I wish I could hold you,till we were both dead! I shouldn't care what you suffered. I care nothing for your sufferings. Why shouldn't you suffer? I do! Will you forget me - will you be happy when I am in the earth? Will you say twenty years hence, "That's the grave of Catherine Earnshaw. I loved her long ago ,and was wretched to lose her ;but it is past. I've loved many others since - my childred are dearer to me than she was, and at death , I shall not rejoice that I am going to her, I shall be sorry that I must leave them!" Will you say so, Heathcliff?


From Heathcliff to Catherine :

You teach me now how cruel you've been - cruel and false. Why did you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort - you deserve this. You have killed yourself.Yes, you may kiss me,and cry ; and wring out my kisses and tears. They'll blight you - they'll damn you. You loved me - then what right had you to leave me? What right -answer me- for the poor fancy you felt for Linton? Because misery, and degradation and death, and nothing that God of satan could inflict would hae parted us, you , of your own will, did it. I have not broken your heart - you have broken it - and in breaking it, you have broken mine. So much the worse for me ,that I am strong. Do I want to live? What kind of living will it be when you - oh God! would you like to live with your soul in the grave?

Relevant poetry :
So,if a tear, when thou art dying,
Should haply fall from me,
It is but that my soul is sighing,
To go and rest with thee.

And though one has passed away,the other continues to utter the many curses:

... Caherine Earnshaw! may you not rest,as long as I'm living! You said I killed you - haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe - I know that ghost have wandered on earth. Be with me always -take any form - drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you!

No comments: