Saturday, March 29, 2008

My volunteering adventure

So for two days in a row, I contributed 4 hours each day to selling Daffodils.

Some things I learnt,after saying "Hi there,do you wanna buy some daffodils?" for 8 hours :

*when a nod actually means a shake.
Some people give u a little nod, but they walk straight ahead. It actually means no. Funny they give me a nod,eh?

*when people say "sorry,no change", but they have a little jiggle-liggle sound coming from their pockets.

*you actually feel much better when people say "I've already bought some!" , or "I wish I could buy some now but I'm going to the movies. Can I buy some later?" , or "Catch me on the way out!" or "you're doing a great job!", or "their so pretty!".

*the worst part is when people ignore you. When people act as if I'm selling them for my own benefits.

*The asians, especially the Koreans are the most stuck up people on Earth. The Koreans all dress up as if they're going to a banquet, a party or some really rich place, (okay,I get it that they're rich and all) but they're the most rude,stuck up people. Really,so you made it to Canada.SO WHAT? It's not like you have to be royalty to be here.Wake up,man,you may be filthy rich in your country,but you're still human,not anywhere above any of us.

*Some people are really cute,they try to "run away" from you and end up going in to a shop by the shop's exit. (you know,some shops have an entrance and an exit. So I'm standing at the entrance,they try to avoid me and try to use the other door, which is the exit door. x] I just point to the entrance and say "the entrance is this way!!" Funny people.

*Some people are so guilt-stiken they give me an excuse before I even ask them if they wanna buy any.

*Some are really funny.There was this guy who said "I bought some at the mall already. $6 for a bunch and $10 for 2 right?? *goes on mumbling*" And another guy kept saying "their so beautiful!!!!" but wouldn't buy any.

*Some are really kind.They approach you, and it's not the other way around. (:

*There were a few people who only stopped in their tracks when I said "It's for cancer." This girl stopped, bought them and then asked me "what am I supposed to do with them?Can I eat them???" Cute girl.

*It's also evident that alot of people don't bring cash with them, just a visa or a debit card. XD

*Some kid with me and say "You take debit?", obviously I don't. Some who are with their girlfriend say "She'd love some!!!"-- but don't buy any. x) Some say "For me?" (they think I'm GIVING the flowers away) and I say, "no,you gotta buy them!" and I continue, "they're for cancer!" and they say "gosh,now you're making me feel guilty!!! I have to buy them now!!"

*I learnt that the next time volunteers approach me, I'll tell them really nicely that "I'd love to,but I can't." or "I'm sorry." or "Good job!" because it reaaaally means alot to hear that.

*This woman thought I was selling muffins! Because I have the box of flowers in front of me hanging from my neck. (imagine "hot cross buns!!"). She said "no,I don't want any muffins!"

*I love it when people are sincere. Even if they don't buy. There was this guy who asked me "do you know when they'll bloom?" and I said I didn't. He wanted to buy some, but then he found out he didn't have enough. I think these people (there were many like these) are really nice. I guess it really boils down to "the heart that counts".

*I learnt to ask people if they have spare change -- when they don't wanna buy the flowers 'cause they're too expensive. And most of the time they're more than willing to spare me a few dollars. Kind souls.

*Another important lesson -- don't judge a book by it's cover. The people who look like they're the most unlikely to buy, they stop and buy. I had a guy with a mohawk,a leprechaun-green tie and a leather jacket,stop in his tracks, asked me about the flowers,found out it was so expensive, nevertheless he gave me the 6 bucks, and ran off before I could give him the flowers. He didn't want it anyway, but wanted to support. I guess he didn't know he could donate any amount he wanted. (:

*Some people (most of the asians) just adjust their ear phones when you ask them. :(

*Some people (most of the asians,again) walk right past you as if you're not there.

*Some people think I'm doing this to get a bus fare. This chinese woman wanted to give me her day pass,and kept telling me it's still usable. I'm doing this for CANCER, not for a day pass. I was really insulted. But my friend thought I should be happy that she's so kind. Not a chance, I'm insulted.

Anyway,after the whole ordeal,guess what? I lost my keys. Damn.

No comments: