Sunday, March 18, 2007

Art

Have you ever thought about art?

People say art is all about creativity.I always thought I'm bad at art,because I never get a B, much less an A. So I readily concluded that Art is just for some people. And whenever I had to draw something, I always mimicked how others drew it, I mean,it was as if there was some rule to it. Grass has to be green, flowers don't come in dark blue or dark brown, mouth has to be red and eyes are always some colour other than orange,pink and what not.


Today, for the first time in my life (well,excluding the time when I was too small to know that my drawing is ugly), I just let loose. I don't know what made me,but I took out my old sketch book, took out my colour pencils ,and randomly picked a colour. Heck ,I didn't even have a clue of what I was going to draw,much less the colour ,shape and size.



Colour after colour, stroke after stroke, I just let my hand do the work.It was as if the cord linking my brain and my hand was broken. I didn't know what colour I was using,didn't think wheter the combination was good, I just picked,drew and put it back. And at last I came up with......




Craziness.After I finished that,the drawing bug was on me and I couldn't get it off. I drew something else.


A weird combination of colours and shapes. And I thought to myself....


If art is just about creativity,who has the right to say it's right or wrong?

So then,why do we need art critics to tell us if the combination is wrong,the drawing is not natural /real/likely?

Why are we graded ,from a scale of 1 to 10 when we hand in our art?

And who says we can't draw flowers that look like devil claws and has the oddest colour,and still call it flowers? If the artist calls it flowers,then it's flowers. It can look like clouds or even a car,when the artist says it's a flower, it means the in the artist's mind,it is a flower.

If art really is about creativity,then the most the schools could do is let us draw what we really want to,the way we like to,like how kindergardens allow the kids to draw anything they want,colour it any colour they want and wheter it's real or not, smile and tell them good job.

That's what I call letting creativity bloom.

Today,I did something out of the ordinary. I feel like I cut a string lose.Maybe I'm now a step closer to who I really am,and a step further from how other people are.

No comments: