Tuesday, April 13, 2010

#555: making a difference

Most of us want to be above average; most of us want to make a difference.

I only know that I want a job that can help me make a difference in this world (In May's words: WORLD DOMINATION). So that when I do leave, I leave a significant piece of myself behind, something that everyone will remember me by.

I'm reading about Environmental Justice for tomorrow's exam and it hit me. :( EJ is a relatively new social movement, there are many aspects to it that have not been realised by the governments. So, compared to combating racism, or gender inequity, there is much to be done.

And who's going to do it?
The new generation that is getting educated about it.

So what struck me was this:
If, even I do not know my best traits and passions, then I can never make a difference. Because to make a difference, you first have to know what is it that you can give.

This is why in interviews/cover letters/ resumes you are always required to tell them what you can do for the club/company/ employer. It's all about what YOU can do.

Making big differences starts with me making small ones, and these baby steps start with me knowing what I can do.

What can I contribute?
What am I passionate about?
What are my skills?

These are the questions that need to be answered before I can successfully apply for any positions (clubs, summer positions etc.) that will help me gain experience, which is highly required to put me through other institutions, so that I can and will make a difference.

I mean, think about it. Your professors didn't just ace school and then became a prof. He/she was probably a really proactive student who did summer research, read lotsa journals, joined social justice clubs where they discussed human trafficking and the chocolate fair trade etc. He/she probably wasn't some lost nerd who didn't know what he/she wanted in life. :(

And all that will be worth nothing if I don't have a good GPA. I shall shuttup and hit the books. My soul search can wait for the holidays.

No comments: